Sunday 10 January 2010

contemplation

I went down to the local leisure centre today to do a bit of light work after yesterday's training. A few guys were chatting to me about weighlifting and were amazed at the fact that I have started training and competing in my forties.
The main question was why did I give up the sport when I was about 18.

I have often thought about this and occasionally have had a few regrets. If I had continued into my 20's, maybe I would be injured by now or would have lost interest. When in my teens, Sean and myself lifted together outside, often in wet or wintry conditions. I had never heard of a training programme never mind pulls, snatch balances etc. For about 2 years, weightlifting to me was making sure that I could lift more weight than my friends or maybe win a summer sports event. I went to a few competitions and even won a few schoolboy events. Without coaching or a training programme, I lost interest.

2 years ago I went to the irish champs in Coolmines and was amazed to see how enthusiastic some of the older guys were. Laurence Mc Connell's lifting was inspiring. That gave me the incentive to give this sport a go. people like Billy and Liam obviously still enjoy competing. I actually realised recently that Liam Stewart holds 15 masters records, 2 of which I am tying to close in on. When he was in the 55-59 year old category, he had a snatch of 95kg which I think is impressive.

The great thing about irish weightlifting is that everyone can compete at the same time, young and old; male and female. The sport seems to be in a healthy state at the moment and with the grace of God, I can compete for many years to come.

1 comment: