Friday 14 August 2009

fri

Decided to some aerobic work today. Considering that when I was 40, my 1 mile time was around 5 minutes. I dont think I could it in 10. I want to get my weight down to around 14 stone. 3 years ago with all the running. my weight dropped to 11.5 stone. As well as losing fat, I lost an awful lot of muscle mass. This time I want to trim up sensibly but retain most of the hard earned bulk and strength I have gained in 18 months. The difficulty is that I dont want aerobics to have a detrimental effect on my weightlifting
Threadmill 30mins@ 7km/hr. random hill level 1
Light bodybuilding 30 mins

Tomorrow - olympic weightlifting. dont know how this will go

2 comments:

  1. Interesting but possibly controversial article in TIME magazine I was reading on plane back from Vermont. Pretty much said that exericse was not very effective for weight control programmes as studies are showing they have no statistically significant reduction in body weight compared to control groups. Reasons they summarised from the studies in this magazine article were roughly:

    1. People who lift eat more and tend to think the training can allow them to eat more high calorie foods although they gave examples of how long it would take to burn off a single bun/cupcake.

    2. Overall activity levels were similar for people who trained and did not train with the reasons being suggested that after training people tend to put the feet up and rest more leading to periods of less activity.

    Some Harvard professor who ran a weight loss programme for a fair number of years said if he were to do it again he would put more emphasis on a calorie controlled diet.

    Finally in the S&C gym here they tend to not use aerobic conditioning for weight loss and tend to try and promote healthier diets and doing circuits, airdyne (spelling may not be right) bike work and intense sled pulls etc to try and promote fat burning. I think part of the reason is to try and reduce the chances of lean muscle loss. Maybe Eamonn and Robbie will be able to give a proper S&C viewpoint on all this but that is some of my recent reading/observations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete the popular diet plan authors are already going do-la about the Times article, in their yea and nay camps. Personally as Charles Poliquin tends usually to be right in the end, i back him. For his " I make the Judge sound like a pussy" opinions check his site and his articles on aerobic training.

    ReplyDelete